Friday, May 8, 2009

I.i - I.iii

What is Joe’s situation? Why does he compare it to drowning?

Joe is in a pretty bad situation straight from the beginning of this novel. Joe is in a hospital bed because he got his limbs cut off! At the hospital Joe falls asleep and he has a pretty strange dream that he is drowning! After that he finally wakes up he notices that he has no more arms or legs. The only thing he has left is a ring on his hand that was given to him and he strongly believes that the doctors shouldn't have to cut that off. I believe that the drowning he experienced in his dream symbolizes how he feels physically, without any energy and in a bad state of shape. I also believe that it represents him in society and how he "is drowning" into it. Joe seems to be in a difficult situation with a lot of things going through his mind and I dont think that he is a very happy person.

No comments: